Saturday, March 13, 2010

Juice and Chips! (hopefully)

For lunch I made a tasty juice, 1 large red beet, 1 large golden beet, lots of carrots, a whole cucumber skin and all & a pretty good chunk of ginger. It's such a pretty ruby color!







I always hate to waste all the pulp from juicing, so today I'm experimenting with making chips out of them.

I have a waring pro juicer, it works pretty well, no juicing grasses, but leaves a few chunks of veggies.

I took all of the pulp out of the juicer, found the bigger chunks and pulled them out to munch on or dehydrate or compost.

I added a bit of sea salt, alot of black pepper, herbs de provence and about a 1/2 cup of water to make it pliable. I covered one tray of my round dehydrator with unbleached parchment and smoothed the mixture out thinly with an offset spatula!






Sooo pretty! I'll update later on how long it takes to get crispy!



Seven hours later:

Soooooo... This did not end well.



It's kinda crispy, kinda fibrous, I'm just gonna throw it in the compost!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. Did you mix the pulp with anything? You might try mixing the pulp with some soaked flax seeds (at least 20 minutes) and 1/2 cup of fresh ground flax seed and some spices. The soak flax seed will become a gelatinous mass and will help keep the mixture together. You can make some bomb flax crackers this way. (maybe you knew this already)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see how they turn out as well. I tried to make these kinda crackers with flax meal too but they were not very tasty, I think I need to tweak them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEHEHE... this was definitely a FAIL, I think I may have heard about the flax in some other recipes but I did not realize they had such binding qualities... I will try that with the next juice pulp and maybe some other flavors!

    ReplyDelete